What is Personally Identifiable Information
"Personally identifiable information" is information that we can use to identify you as an individual. Personally identifiable information includes your name, address, telephone number and any other information that is connected with you personally.
Collection of Personally Identifiable Information
King Features endeavors to maintain the security and integrity of personal information that we obtain from our users. We do not disclose information to any outside party except as disclosed in this policy.
King Features collects personally identifiable information with your specific knowledge and consent. For instance, when you complete a survey, register for the site, make a purchase, enter a sweepstakes or contest, participate in our social networking features, and other electronic services you will be asked to provide information such as your e-mail address, name, phone number, and shipping address. Information such as your age, gender, hobbies or interests may also be requested. This information may sometimes be collected by third party service providers with whom King Features contracts to host the Web site or to fulfill requests for services; in that event, King Features asks such providers to make the personal information available only to King Features for King Features to use in accordance with the terms of this policy and not to use the information for any other purpose. King Features uses this information to provide you with the service you have requested. Similarly, if you enter online sweepstakes, we will use this information to notify you if you are a winner. We might also send out e-mails to users and sweepstakes/contest entrants to announce special offers, services and announcements from our sites and/or our advertisers. If you provide personal information for use in any of our social networking channels or tools (which may include services such as mail, friendships, instant messaging and the like), we will use that information in the manner contemplated by the particular networking channel. Please check each channel for a description of how networking is conducted.
Our cookies may contain personally identifiable information and such cookies may be shared with others to the same extent indicated above.
Some of our advertisers may serve you cookies as well. We do not have control over cookies placed by advertisers.
Your Internet Protocol ("IP") address is usually associated with the place from which you enter the Internet, like your Internet Service Provider, your company or your university. Our server may also record the referring page that linked you to us (e.g., another Web site or a search engine); the pages you visit on our sites, the Web site you visit after this Web site; the ads you see; the ads you click on; other information about the type of Web browser, computer, platform, related software and settings you are using; any search terms you have entered on this Web site or a referral site; and other Web usage activity and data logged by our Web servers. We may use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our servers, gather broad demographic information, and administer our Web site. We may also link this information with your personal information when we feel that it is necessary to enforce compliance with our rules and policies or terms of service or to protect our Sites, customers or others.
Co-branding and special services
Some of our applications and mobile-optimized sites may have location-based features. For those features, we will collect your geographic location and, depending on the application, other information you provide us to enable you to enjoy the service being offered. For example, we may offer shopping features that allows you to get information about local merchants or travel features that allows you to locate nearby sights and destinations. We will use your location to serve relevant content, and your information may be shared with third party retailers and other facilities as applicable to allow you to take advantage of the particular service being offered.
Disclosure of Information
In the unlikely event that we believe that the security of your personal information in our possession or control may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you of that development. If a notification is appropriate, we would endeavor to do so as promptly as possible under the circumstances, and, to the extent we have your e-mail address, we may notify you by e-mail.
In addition to the foregoing, King Features may share or disclose personally identifiable information about you to other companies or individuals when:
- we utilize third party service providers to provide products, services or functions on our behalf (such as sending emails or processing credit cards or fulfilling subscriptions), and ask these service providers to agree to maintain the confidentiality of your personally identifiable information and not to use your personally identifiable information for any reason except to carry out the purpose(s) for which we hired them;
- you have entered a contest or sweepstakes sponsored by a third party, in which case the information may be shared with that third party for their use in their discretion, including direct marketing (Some of our contests and sweeps will ask you at the time of entry whether you would like your personal information to be shared with the sponsor. Other contests will not give you that option and in that event, if you do not want your information to be shared, you should not enter the contest);
- you have furnished us personal information with the intent that it be forwarded to a third party for use in connection with a specified service you are electing to participate in (examples include, without limitation, e-commerce partners, services to help old friends locate you online, etc.);
- we need to protect our legal rights (for example, if we are trying to collect money you owe us);
- we must comply with applicable laws, regulations, or legal or regulatory process;
- we have reason to believe that someone may be causing injury to someone or interfering with our rights or the rights of our users, or general public, or using our services in violation of a legal or personal right; or
- in connection with a sale, merger, transfer, exchange, or other disposition (whether of assets, stock, or otherwise) of all or a portion of the business conducted by the Web sites to which this policy applies.
We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you use our Web site, mobile-optimized versions of our Web site and mobile applications. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address or telephone number) about your use of this and other applications in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. In the course of serving advertisements to this site, our third-party advertisers may place or recognize a unique "cookie" on your browser.
If you are located outside of the United States, please note that the information you provide to us will be transferred to the United States. By using this Web site, you consent to this transfer. You also consent to the adjudication of any disputes arising in connection with this Web site in the federal and state courts of, and in accordance with the laws of, the state of New York.
The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) does not allow the collection of any personal information from anyone under the age of 13 without parental consent. In compliance with COPPA, King Features does not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 13. Some areas of our sites require that you identify yourself by age category when registering and in those areas, if you register as an adult, you represent that you are 18 years of age or older.
If your children disclose information about themselves in our public discussion areas, they may get unsolicited messages from other parties. Accordingly, you should tell them not to do so. There are also commercially available tools to help you limit your children's exposure to material online.
If you are worried about your children's activities or their privacy on our site, we encourage you to email King Features at email@example.com.
This policy was last updated on December 15, 2010.